Thursday, March 5, 2009

sisters

"for there is no friend like a sister,
in calm or stormy weather,
to cheer one on the tedious way,
to fetch one if one goes astray,
to lift one if one totters down,
to strengthen whilst one stands."




christina rossetti wrote these words as part of her epic poem the goblin market. it is the story of two sisters. it is the story of one sister's heroic, self-sacrificing love given to save the other. it is the story which tells us that love can be used to save another. i have a sister such as this!
she is my best friend, she is my confidant, she is my sounding board, and at times she has been my frustration. (would she be a true sister without this?) but she has never left me nor betrayed me. by her side i learned how to pretend and how to believe. we took space ships rides together while nestled in the branches of the crab apple tree, and sent secret notes of hopes and dreams out into the world from high a top the mighty oak and spent playtime in the basement with lima beans, chalk boards, the red gingham dress and wooden banister horses. countless adventures experienced. pretend soon lead to reality as true love was found and declared, babies came and were cuddled and real life adventures were taken to places throughout the world. she has shared her life with me. where mine was lacking she filled it in. i do not have the words she has to describe my love for her. i only can echo the refrain, "there were flowers on her pillow, that matched ones on mine. madame alexander dolls and traded valentines....she knew my best, she knew my worst and everything in between ... some dreams have come and some dreams are gone and some remain just dreams ... sisters". thank you sister for all you have given me. happy birthday cori!


7 comments:

williamsfam5 said...

Happy birthday Cori. And what a beautiful tribute to her! Love you Libby!!!

Ashley C. said...

happy birthday cor. sure love you. and sure love you lib.

those pics are awesome.

E.F.G. said...

happy birthday cori! what a beautiful tribute!? a perfect reminder that sisters really can be our best friends.

coriconnors said...

Holy Cow, my eyes will be all red for our BBQ in 20 minutes! I love you so much, Lib! Thank you for always being there for me! By the way, when have I ever frustrated you???? You have never made me feel that way, so it sort of took me by surprise! I cannot imagine why you would ever be frustrated with me?
;)
Oh, and I am thinking, for the next album release concert, that I should get some pj's like I wore in that picture with my uke. And you could wear a nurse dress, too. Could be a crowd pleaser, don't you think?

oh, and another thing...THANKS FOR MY NEW BLOG BACKGROUND!!!! It is lovely! Makes me look a lot less boring.
Love you!

sarahbellac said...

Make me cry! I love you and I love that you are such an amazing sister to my mom. Happy birthday to Mom, too! LOVE the pictures - some I've never seen before!

Becky said...

What a sweet tribute! I loved it. I think I also have a special sister. We said today, we've been neglecting our Connors and clan- we'll try and remedy that sometime soon.

Kysha said...

I am loving all these pictures! I'm missing my sister. And happy birthday to Cori.