she loved that dress and saved it through the years, even though her slim 27in waist grew larger with the birth of her 7 children. she let us play in it. we would pretend and dream that we were as pretty as she was. gram always smiles when that dress is mentioned. even to this day, nearly 70 years since she first made it.cori has immortalized it in her song "the red gingham dress". and there is still a "lilt" in her sway, although these days it must be expressed in her hands as her legs will no longer carry her. and the "spark in her eye" still catches the glance of any passing guy!
a cherished family photo is of gram, wearing her beloved dress, sitting on top of a 6 ton concrete lion located on the northeast side of the utah state capitol building.(circa 1940.)
this week i learned that those lions are up for sale on ebay. the renovation of the state capitol called for new replacements and they are selling the old, worn out, broken concrete lions. they only weigh 6 tons and are about 6 ft by 6 ft by oh say 12 feet long. a nice addition to the backyard don't you think?! jordon can get a truck that will move it. our neighbor has access to a crane. gram's birthday is in november. hmmm.........

ebay link to auction site: http://cgi.ebay.com/HISTORIC-CONCRETE-LION-FROM-UTAH-STATE-CAPITOL-NE_W0QQitemZ140348950269QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item20ad7306fd&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
6 comments:
Go for it! We can recreate the whole scene - Cinny could sew a new red gingham dress. This could be monumental. :) Love you guys! Miss you!
Wouldn't that be wonderful? Looks like the bidding is hot and heavy. I hope the winner has gram in mind. Sweet post.
I will contribute to the purchase. Go for it!
All I can offer is supervision but I am really good at that. Im in.
And if I remember correctly she sewed that red gingham dress on the old singer sewing machine. This would certainly give a whole new meaning to "The Lion House."
Indeed, that would have been awesome. :) I love the photos of Gram!
Post a Comment