Thursday, September 16, 2010

on the way home from picking up parker from mrs. t’s preschool

me: oh look parker. there is a picture of wild animals on the back of that car.

parks: where, i can’t see. (he is sitting in the back seat strapped in and cannot see over the front seat)

me: oh i’m sorry bud. you can’t see it from back there. well it had giraffes and lions and monkeys and an elephant.

parks: oh, like zuri. (the baby elephant born last year at hoggle zoo)

me: yup. like zuri. but bigger!

parks: oh. like a grown up zuri.

me: yes

parks: when zuri grows up she , … pause … is zuri a she?

me: yes.

parks: oh. when zuri grows up she will be a mom, just like you.

me: (smiling) yes, she probably will be parksie, but, … i’m not a mom.

parks: ( hesitant and thoughtful) well, …………… long pause ……… you have gram!

me: yes parker i do.

and i have all of you kids too. i’m a grand aunt … just like one of those grand elephants.

parks: yeah!

(i guess as long as you take care of someone, you are a mom! thanks parker. i love you!)

7 comments:

Ann Marie said...

OH MY GOSH!! I love, love, love that boy and he loves, loves, loves you!! And so do I!!!!

Anonymous said...

that is so so so cute! Parker sees things how they are. You take care of everyone around you. You embody the good spirit of mothers everywhere. You are so great!

coriconnors said...

So true Annie! And so true Libby. As long as you take care of somebody you're a mom. We're going to have to start calling you Mama Libby.
"Who makes us warm when we are cold...L-I-B-B-Y
Who helps us do what we are told...
L-I-B-B-Y
Who says Hooray and claps and claps when my panties are dry?
She is my other mother....L-I-B-B-Y"

You are a gift to all of us.

Tatiana said...

I love that child.

You are absolutely Gramma/Mama Libby.

Ashley C. said...

Ah. That kid makes me melt. And yes, Libby you are a mom to all of us. And we just adore you.

Him especially.

Courtney said...

I think you are a fabulous! You truly love and take care of so many!! Thanks for being so motherly!

Gardner's Compost said...

Well, Meg sometimes tells me I'm not her mom... By Parkers definition, Meg would be wrong! Thanks Parker. And thanks Libby - that makes you Meg's mom as much as I am!